At Jane Byrne’s funeral, the priest made a joke
That the newly named Jane Byrne circle interchange
Was surely on the pathway to heaven.
Was surely on the pathway to heaven.
Everyone laughed and agreed.
I didn’t know much about her before today, but certainly
Jane Byrne helped make a path for us.
At 24, she was left a widow and a mother.
She had to learn to fight when Saks tried to take away her
charge card.
Without a man, her daughter explained, Jane had no credit.
Jane persuaded them to let her keep it by showing
The title for her car. And that fight was just the start.
I saw a photo of Jane singing ‘Chicago’ in 1982,
Belting it out in Columbus Park.
Her daughter said today that she
Wasn’t a very good singer.
This makes me like her more.
Belting it out in Columbus Park.
Her daughter said today that she
Wasn’t a very good singer.
This makes me like her more.
At the end, another mayor spoke, and the media filmed it.
Older people wore buttons:
Jane Byrne for Mayor.
Jane Byrne for Mayor.
We forget so easily what feminism looks like.
It was a perfectly Chicago day. Icy wind lashing at us
outside the church,
The police, the bagpipes.
The police, the bagpipes.
I ducked into a cab, and when I got home, charged the ride
to my own credit card.
Thank you, Jane.
-KCM, Nov. 17, 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment