The internet attributes this quote to
Hemingway, and even though I have no idea if he said it, I think it's very true.
"The first draft of anything is
shit."
(That's a really good reason to get it over with so
you can move on to the better draft.)
Sitting down and writing for a couple hours a day is not thrilling. Most of it what comes out is embarrassingly bad, but more and more I can see the shape of something good starting to emerge. It's a slog right now, but at least something is happening.
To be clear, I don’t expect to have a fully finished
novel at the end of this month. Before this week, I’d never sat down with the
intention of writing a novel, so this is starting from scratch. My goal is to hit the National Novel Writing Month word count goal (50,000) and to have a fraction of it be good, usable stuff. That’s not being
self-deprecating. As my Dad would say, way it is.
I'm also behind. Tonight I have at least 2,000 words to go. Uh, I better go do that.
So what's the novel about? It's so disjointed and weird right now, I got flustered the other night trying to explain it to a close friend. Once it makes sense, even a little bit, I'll share some of it here.
___
On another note entirely, this has been a terrible week for
people suffering after superstorm Sandy. And now there's the bad news that another storm is headed their way. A few people have reached out to me
with questions about how the Red Cross is helping and what you can do to help.
This was a huge storm, and the recovery process is going to be long. Yes,
your support of the Red Cross will make a difference on the East Coast now. They are sheltering people, bringing them hot meals (more than 480,000 meals and snacks so far!) and will be there as the relief effort continues. You can give online here.
(This girl is picking up hot meals for her family in New Jersey. Credit Red Cross.)

No comments:
Post a Comment