(Chicago is cheap. No stickers for us.)
Good morning voters! This is only the fourth general election that I've voted in, and it's certainly the first time I've witnessed shenanigans at a polling place (1st ward, 6th Precinct, Ogden School on Erie St.). This is what went down:
1. The man in front of me in line showed ID, not a voter registration card. He had a common Latino last name, and the poll worker couldn't find him in the book. Instead of asking him if he had registered and offering him a provisional ballot, the poll worker said "you're not in here" and the man walked away.
(There were high school girls helping with the check in, and one was intent on moving the tables around while this was happening. Uhhh...)
2. They found me in the book and I voted.
3. They could not find my husband in the book, even though we had both received our cards and reminders in the mail together. He didn't have his voter registration with him, and they suggested maybe he was actually at the polling place across the street.
4. There is no polling place across the street this year. Husband went home and got his voter card.
5. When he came back, they gave him a provisional ballot, but it was already filled out. Confusion ensued, but then he got a new ballot. Eventually, he voted.
I called Attorney General Madigan's election fraud hotline and they said they would "send someone over." The number I called: 1-866-536-3496.

No comments:
Post a Comment