![]() |
| #unrepentantselfie |
I
walked to Venture as a 12-year-old to buy my first Tori album. It was a toss up
between spending my babysitting money on her album “Under the Pink” or the
Stone Temple Pilots’ “Purple.”
I chose correctly.
At home, I lay with my cheek on the mauve bedroom carpet,
flipping the tape in the boom box over and over again. It didn’t matter that I
wasn’t sure what the songs were about, precisely. The controlled beauty and
anger of Tori's voice and the versatility of her piano playing were nothing like
the jingles I had been pounding out on our family’s upright in the living room.
These songs were gorgeous and about things that mattered, things I
wanted to understand.
Christina and Jenny and I kept a friendship notebook around
the same time as our first Tori show. This summer, Christina unearthed it at
her parents’ house in a memory box, the torn cover pasted with
ransom-note-style headlines cut out from Seventeen magazines and filled with
missives about boys and boys and boys. We were so self-assured, so in love with
our friendship, so insecure but certain that we were veiling those
vulnerabilities with humor and anger.
It is so transparent to me now, reading those cringeworthy
pages. Makes me wonder what will be transparent to me 20 years from now. Fewer
things, or just as many?
In junior high, it was crucially important to me that others
understood we were a trio of best friends. I feared getting squeezed out,
especially because I was last at everything that mattered then (mostly boys and
puberty). As a safeguard, I wanted to find us three-part best friendship
necklaces instead of the readily available gold heart split in two. Such an
oddity was unavailable at Claire’s, so we settled on rainbow sets of beads that
looked like gummy bears, swapping the strands that mismatched nicely with our
flannels and band t-shirts.
![]() |
| Standing in a parking lot before a Tori meet and greet. Why aren't we wearing shoes in this parking lot? |
Back then, I thought it was Tori shows, the notebook, necklaces,
and a shared, rotating wardrobe of baggy men's clothes that made our friendship important. Of course the real
things that have kept us close seemed mundane and happened in between. The
sleepovers and watching the same four movies with the longhaired men of the
‘90s on repeat (Daniel, Brad and, embarrassingly, Mel). The time spent visiting
each other at our first jobs, lingering in lobbies and coffee shops. And later,
trips to see each other when we moved away, standing up in weddings and visiting each other's families.
After a few sangrias last week, sitting in the fifth row, I watched Tori take the stage. She wore a red satiny
kimono and cat-eye glasses which, in addition to being Elton-John-awesome, she
needs in order to see. Tori has not mellowed over the decades, her voice is as
strong as ever. But her pauses, her emphasis on certain lyrics, have shifted.
And the things that I needed to hear about at 14—sex, questioning religion,
what it means to be a girl, a woman, a daughter—are just as resonant now.
![]() |
| Tori looks like she's on fire! I need a new camera phone. |
When she sang ‘Winter,’ there was the added dimension of her
own motherhood: “When you gonna make up your mind?/When you gonna love you as
much as I do?” And when she implores, “Don’t make me come to Vegas/don’t make
me pull you out of his bed,” well. We know now what it means to help your
friend exit a terrible relationship, whether you're 13 or 33. These songs realign, snap into place with experience. My
teenage anger has aged into something more productive, more soundly feminist,
and Tori’s lyrics still stoke it, “Why does there/gotta be a sacrifice?” I feel
more fiercely protective of my friends, more in awe of them as ever.
Female friendships are hard, I’ve learned, until they
aren’t. There is something so satisfying about still being able to make these
women laugh, to fall easily into deep conversations, into kindness and old
stories, and to recognize how essentially the same the three of us are. How,
when tested, we flex strength and humor in the same places that we did as kids.
Sometimes reacting more tenderly here, a little more confidently there, but
wholly the same girls.
Certainly, more fearless. Last week we were taking turns with that fifth-row seat, the other pair of tickets being about 10 rows farther back. But as soon as Tori started "Cornflake Girl" before the first encore, my phone buzzed with Jenny's text. "Get your asses down here." Christina and I nonchalantly rushed the stage with the other crazy fans and the three of us danced in the aisle together for the rest of the show. Fourteen-year-old me would be impressed.




No comments:
Post a Comment