I took a different route home from work yesterday. I didn't
want to, but I did.
The day before, a kid who looked like he was barely 20
leaned out of his car and started harassing me. I don’t even know what he said,
but the car slowed and I felt distinctly not safe being there alone with him.
Broad daylight. Two blocks from my house.
Maybe people think this isn’t a real problem. Certainly FOXNews doesn't want you to think it is. But it’s something I’ve dealt with since
I was in college, maybe before—the drop in the pit of my stomach when a strange
man turns his attention to me on the street. Honking horns. Chht chhting at me
as I cross the street. It doesn’t matter that I’m wearing a ten-year-old jean
jacket and no makeup. From now on though, when I wear those pants, I will
wonder. Are they too tight? Is this skirt going to fly up? Am I safe?
There is an alley that runs along a school. It is cool and
dark and right now it is green. Certainly, if I were a kid, I would think it
was my own secret passage way, but really all sorts of people walk through the
alley. Moms with babies. Guys with dogs. High school kids on the way home from
school. That determined short kid who carries his French horn to school every
day.
After work, I usually walk through the part of my
neighborhood that’s closest to the highway, zig zagging past the medley of low-rise
affordable apartments dwarfed by four-story purple brick condos with tiny patches
of front lawn. The people in the low-rises at least have side yards where kids
play. I wave at an old man and his wife bouncing an infant on her lap. I always
felt safe there, though I know the names of very few of my neighbors outside of
our building (this does not include the weird community of people in our
neighborhood Facebook group who post “fireworks or gun shots?!” every Saturday.
Both, people. Both.). I know a lot of
people’s faces, though. The moms who stand on the corner and chat for a bit
after their kids go to school. The guy who owns the corner store. The cook at
the bar who stands inside the doorway of the kitchen to catch some air.
I reflectively put my hand in front of my face as it
happened. No. Stop. He was too close, and I was too scared to even yell my
typical, “not ok!” I looked the other way. It wasn’t, from a physical safety
standpoint, probably the best decision. Closing my eyes. But isn’t that how we
react when something violent is thrown at us?
Thank you for writing this. So depressing, so infuriating, and yet in no way a surprise. Women need to tell these stories until everyone has heard them.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ivers.
Delete